Banana Updo – Glamour and Sophistication
The banana updo is a hairstyle classic. Some people also call it a French twist. Remember the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" Audrey Hepburn wore the elegant banana updo in this classic comedy. The banana updo gives women a particularly graceful appearance. The vertical shape seemingly adds length to the neck. Best of all, the hairstyle looks good on every woman and comes in many variations. You may find your banana updo style below.
Classic Banana Updo with Spiral
This classic well-organised banana updo is just the right hairstyle for a theatre visit. The ends of the twisted hair are allowed to curl into a spiral and secured with hidden bobby pins
Banana Updo plus Glamour Quiff
This is one of the more glamorous banana updos. The banana updo comes with a stylish quiff on top of the head. Simply keep a strand of top hair out of the banana and use it to form a quiff
The Playful Banana Updo
For this playful banana updo the hair is not twisted but folded into a banana. Simply gather your hair to a ponytail and fold it over one of your hands. Only secure the top part of the banana with bobby pins. Allow the rest of the hair to fall in an open ponytail
Banana Updo with a Twist
This banana updo looks professional and understated at work. To style this updo separate out a wide strand of hair over the ear and keep it out of the way for now with the help of a hair clip. Now style a banana in the back of your head. Once the banana is done use the separated side strand and spread it over the banana. Secure the strand with bobby pins
Vertical Banana Updo
This vertical banana updo is a veritable work of art. You may consider it for your bridal hairstyle. The hairdo consists of two vertically shaped bananas and a quiff. Separate your hair into three portions. Fold two of the portions into loose vertical bananas in the back of your head. The top portion of your hair is folded back into a stylish quiff
The banana updo is particularly suitable for festive occasions like weddings, a theater visit or a special dinner party. However, this elegant updo also works well at home and at work. Sure, styling the banana updo takes some expertise, but with our step-by-step styling instructions even newbies can be successful at it.
Necessary Tools to Style the Banana Updo
Your hair must reach at least to your shoulders for the banana updo. Use clip extensions and volumising powder if your hair is very fine. You need a styling comb, a bunch of bobby pins, hairspray and a little hair wax. The helping hand from a friend can be invaluable at least until you are an expert updo stylist.
How to Style the Banana Updo
1. If you don’t have a full head of strong hair you best apply volumizing powder or slightly tease your hair.
2. Dependent on your style and preference, part or don’t part your hair before gathering it loosely in the back of your head.
3. For the classic banana updo you should gather your hair to a ponytail in the neck. Use hair wax to avoid fly-away hair.
4. Tightly twist the ponytail before pulling your hair up toward the top of your head. Keep on turning the ponytail around until it takes the shape of the typical banana. While you twist and pull the ponytail upward, use hidden bobby pins to secure the banana updo as it forms in the back of your head.
5. You can twist the end of the ponytail into a decorative spiral shape or hide the ends inside the banana. Secure the ends of your hair using bobby pins.
6. Secure the finished banana updo with hairspray. Dependent on the occasion, add accessories like flowers, feathers or decorative barrettes for more glamour.
Don’t give up if you don’t create a masterful banana updo the first time around. Mastery will come with practice.