How to achieve perfectly air-dried hair
Anyone paying close attention to the hottest of the hot celebs this season will realize that they tend to leave the house wearing the same thing almost every day: wet strands. It turns out, the base of some of the most gorgeous locks are the result of air-dried locks. But there’s a lot more to air drying your hair than just letting it dry in the air. There’s a science to it, and without the right prep, it usually ends up looking limp, frizzy, or plain old blah. Below we break down the top tricks to successfully air-drying your hair.
1. Not all towels are created equal, and the kind you use on your hair straight out of the shower can greatly impact the way your hair looks when it dries. The fibers in most bath towels can leave hair frizzy after all the rubbing and twisting to get rid of excess water. Even worse, the weight of a towel turban can pull on your roots, which tends to promote breakage. To cut down on drying time without sacrificing body and bounce, an ultra-absorbent towel works best to remove a lot of the moisture.
2. The comb you use on your wet hair is just as important as the towel in achieving your perfectly air-dried hair. A wide-tooth comb will give you the most body. Unlike densely-bristled synthetic brushes, a wide-tooth comb evenly distributes product throughout your strands without interfering with your hair’s natural texture.
3. Working a fast-acting detangler into freshly washed strands is key on your quest for the perfect head of air-dried hair. Schwarzkopf essence ULTIME Omega Repair 11 in 1 Leave-In is a hydrating leave-in formula that sinks in quickly to tame stubborn knots and minimize frizz.
4. A little wave and volume goes a long way when it comes to the air-dry technique. A texturizing mousse like Schwarzkopf styliste ULTIME Biotin+ Volume Mousse adds that just-off-the-beach grit.
5. Air-dried strands are the beauty routine to follow if you’re a late night shower-taker. Throwing your hair in buns, braids, or twists when wet, will give you waves by morning without ever setting foot near a hot tool. Just spritz on some Schwarzkopf essence ULTIME Biotin+ Volume Root Lift Spray before you style your bed-time ‘do.
6. Once your hair is dry, resist the urge to finger twirl, scrunch or play with it. Your hand’s natural oils can leave behind a greasy residue and weigh hair down, resulting in a flat mane, rather than the beautifully textured look perfectly air-dried hair is all about.
Allowing your strands to air-dry may seem like a tactic best reserved for supermodels. But, with a little effort, air-drying can be a healthier approach to styling, using key post-shower products as opposed to sizzling hot tools. Let Schwarzkopf be you guide to perfectly air-dried hair this spring!